Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pay rise within a week? Another in a month?

As you know I have just started a new job doing all the marketing for a couple of brands. The company is set up so that they have a list of things you must complete to get promoted to a new level and get a pay rise. For example:

Read 2 business books
Achieve KPI's 4 weeks in a row
Train someone on something
Get a positive review from manager

It's really awesome because you can plan how you are going to tick them off and if you complete them there is no reason why you won't get a pay rise. There is also none of that job review anxiety where you wonder what they will say and if you will get promoted. It's very simple where I work... if you do the list... you are a success! I did the first list in a week. I got a pay rise. I want my second pay rise before the month is out.

Now there is one slight problem that I noticed with the level 2 list of things to complete last, and I worked hard to find a solution because I will be damned if I don't get a pay rise within a month. So the problem is this. The lists are catered towards sales staff. Although most of the tasks translate the ones such as measuring and reporting KPI's, job card completion, or "section reviews" are not as simple. Marketing doesn't have set things we do every day. Yes we measure the leads from marketing or advertising but everyday is different in the sense that I could be creating a brochure, a TV ad, a sales script, or just re ordering uniforms. Yesterday I spent 6 hours fixing images in Photoshop. How do I prove to my boss that I deserve a pay rise for that? Well... I figured out a way.

The sales guys have tables to measure their success with KPI's (Key Performance Indicators). They must record their targets ie; 10 sales per week and then record what they actually achieved. After 4 weeks they can prove how successful they are from this table. I decided to make up my own table so that I have a firm way to prove that I deserve a pay rise. It has to have the week commencing date at the top of the table, then it has 3 columns. These are "most important projects, due date, date completed". I just fill in the columns now and at the end of 4 weeks of successfully reaching all of my deadlines I can go to my boss and get my pay rise (of course only if I have done all the other things on the list too). Some of the things I included were "creating 4 brochures, reporting marketing to CEO, creating new business cards & designing product names for 4 new products". You can add anything in though, as long as it is a big task, with high significance to the company.

Job card reviews were a little harder to translate to marketing, although I did manage it after some thought. A job card is a list of daily tasks you do so that if you were away someone else could take over your role with no trouble at all. Once you do the task each day you have to tick it off. 4 weeks of ticks and you're one step closer to a pay rise, and the next level. The job card I was given was completely useless for my role. So... I spent the day recording in Excel every step that I took to do my job properly. I found that although I have a few set things I do every day, the rest is pretty random so I would include these week by week, at the beginning of the week and then tick it off as I move through the steps.

I told my sister about my pay rise mission last week and now she is thinking of ways in which she could apply this to her workplace. She really wants a pay rise but her boss is stingy and and wont budge. My suggestion to her was to go above and beyond her job description, keep a record, save him time or money, record it, and then approach the subject when you have hard evidence of how fantastic you are. She did just that. She worked out a way to save 20 lecturers 15 minutes each. Considering they get paid over a hundred dollars an hour that's a small wad of cash right there. On top of that she designed a system that would make the customers (the students) more happy, and save them time and the library resources. She wrote out a plan and she is now on her way to her boss to present the idea, implement it, measure it's success, and demand a pay rise! Woo go Eb!

1 comment: